Thursday, April 16, 2015

Stormy Weather

Rainy Days and Mondays” or is it more like “Raining on Sunday”?  “Stormy Weather” like this tends to put me in a nostalgic mood.  I’ve spent the morning being very non-productive.  I played some Facebook games, read CNN, listened to some music, and that’s pretty much it. 

The music evokes so many memories, though.  It’s amazing how many times in my life wrap around something musical, or at least I equate them with a song or two.

Naturally, Mom and Dad were my first musical influences.  Dad was the country lover, and we listened to songs from Conway Twitty, Loretta Lynn, Merle Haggard, Charley Pride and Connie Smith, among others.  (Remember 8-track tapes??) Dad loved Connie Smith.  He was even in her security detail when she made a visit to our little town of Maysville, Ky.  We just didn’t get famous people that often in Maysville, except for our beloved Rosemary Clooney, so that concert made the front page of the Ledger-Independent, and there was a picture of Dad helping Ms. Smith through quite a crowd.

When we visited Dad’s family in Cookeville, Tenn., I would awaken every morning to the smell of food cooking on a wood-burning stove and the sounds of Eddy Arnold’s “Cattle Call” as WHUB signed on the air.  That memory is so vivid that I can almost smell the sausage my aunt Joyce cooked on that big, metal stove.    

Mom grew up in the 50s and 60s, so I cut my teeth on groups like the Platters.  We listened to them on a record player that sat inside a refinished Victrola case.  That thing was gorgeous, and there’s nothing like “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes.”  Mom taught me dances to the songs too, dances like the Stroll and the Hand Jive.  Mom had some varied tastes though.  She’s the reason I listen to the Beatles and the Eagles even now. 

Steve Verville -- Oh, I had quite a crush on Steve there for a while.  He lived across the street from us on Jersey Ridge, and I recall him being into Jim Croce.  (Never into me though.  *sigh*) Years later I worked with Croce’s widow on a project for CMT.  Life does make circles from time to time.

I had my own musical favorites back in the 70s.  First, it was Bobby Sherman, but he was quickly replaced by Donny Osmond who progressed to the Partridge Family, and I practically wore out Melanie’s “Brand New Key” and Don McLean’s “American Pie.”  And then … there was “Come Monday” by Jimmy Buffett.  I quickly became, and remain, a Parrothead.

We moved to Cookeville in ‘75, and I discovered the fact that there was more than one radio station I could access.  Wow!  My favorite was a station out of Gracious and Growing Gallatin –- I don’t remember the call letters , but Coyote McCloud was my favorite deejay.  Suddenly I had music any time I wanted.  Plus, there was American Top 40 with Casey Kasem.  I heard ABBA, Fleetwood Mac, Blondie, the Bee Gees, Rod Stewart…

In 1975, NBC gave us Saturday Night Live, and it was followed up by Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert.  For the first time we had two TVs, and one was in my bedroom.  I was supposed to be in bed around 10:30 because we had to be up early in order to attend services at the Kingdom Hall.  I was always in my room by 10, but I was going through a rebellious phase (Yes, staying up late was rebellious for me), and I would turn the TV on to catch SNL –- it was such an adult show to me!  One night I was still awake when Rock Concert came on.  The musical guest was Rod Stewart.  I thought he was a rather skinny, unattractive fellow, but then he sang “Maggie May.”  A chill went down my spine, just as it still does every time I hear that song.  (Rod was also my first true concert experience.   I believe it was the Worth Leavin’ Home For Tour, although I’ll always think of it as Tonight I’m Yours.)

The late 70s brought Aerosmith, Queen, Kansas, Elton John, Chicago, Steely Dan, John Cougar (now Mellencamp), Steve Miller Band, Boston, Journey and more than I can remember right now.

The late 70s also brought Bill Dyer into my life.  He introduced me to Bob Seger, and I remain a fan over 30 years later, although I find it very difficult to believe it’s been that long since we ran around in that ’74 Plymouth Duster, blaring Seger, the Commodores and Leo Sayer as we went.  (Sayer was for me.  Don’t blame Bill for that one.)

The 80s brought singers and bands with hair much bigger and prettier than mine.  Def Leppard was a favorite.  I’d drive that Duster into town with “Pour Some Sugar on Me” just blasting.  Culture Club had Mom and me sharing a conversation over “Karma Chameleon.”   Mom: “Is that a man or a woman?”  Me: “I don’t know, but I think it’s a man because there’s an Adam’s apple.”  Mom: “I suppose so, but it sure is hard to tell.”

The 80s also gave us MTV.  On August 1, 1981, MTV signed on with “Video Killed the Radio Star,” and the world was never the same.  Suddenly, songs could be seen, not just heard.  And MTV had a big effect on my life again in the 00s. 

Okay, so the 90s brought Terry Marsh and U2.  I certainly listened to other music then, but if you know Terry, then you know it’s all about U2 and nothing but U2. 

Then came my next encounter with MTV.  I started working for Country.com, later CMT.com, on May 27, 1997, and I stayed with them until I was “downsized” on Dec. 8, 2008. The music I heard -- recorded, live and otherwise, the people I met, the things I saw.  That was truly an amazing time in my life. 

Both boys have been in marching band.  Jordan still plays music –- he plays something like 9 instruments, but I think Jonathan only listens now.  That means I have the Marching Band Era, which means lots of loud music, and some of it was even good.

Oh, this is enough about music for now.  Some memories haven’t been as pleasant, and I’d just as soon not cry today.  So, I think I’ll leave it at this.  With Bob Seger’s “Roll Me Away” playing in the background.







No comments:

Post a Comment