Saturday, April 4, 2015

Let Them Eat Two Egg Cake!

As I've said before, I love to bake.  I started doing it at an early age, and I had some good teachers.   My first cookies were peanut butter ones baked with Betty Henderson, and my first cake was baked with my Aunt Joyce McCormick in a wood burning stove.  

This is the first cake I remember baking completely on my own.  I needed to start with something simple so I searched through the gray cookbook my mother had received during her senior year of high school.  This seemed as simple as it could get, so I paired it with a buttercream frosting and was quite pleased when it came out edible and delicious, although a bit rough around the edges.  

From that point on I baked just about every Saturday, which is why I'm posting this recipe today.

Two Egg Cake

Ingredients:

  • 1 3/4 cups plus 1 tbsp cake flour
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup soft butter
  • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 3/4 c milk


Directions:

Sift flour, measure and resift 3 times with baking powder and salt.  Cream butter until soft and smooth and gradually blend in the sugar, creaming until fluffy.  Add beaten eggs and beat vigorously until light and fluffy.  Add vanilla and stir in thoroughly.  Add flour mixture and milk alternately in 3 or 4 portions, beginning and ending with flour and beating until smooth after each addition.  Pour into two 8-inch layer cake pans, buttered on the sides and lined with wax paper in the bottom.  Bake in a moderate oven (350' F.) 25 to 30 minutes, until cake just begins to pull away from sides of pan and springs back when pressed lightly with finger tip.  Cool in pan on cake rack 5 minutes, then turn out on rack right side up.  When cool, frost between layers and on top and sides of cake with any desired frosting.  8 to 10 servings.  

Through the years I've also frosted this cake with chocolate, cocoa, and lemon frostings, and it was delicious with all of them.  It really is a simple, versatile cake that's good anytime.  

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment