Friday, March 27, 2015

A Little Easter Rabbit

For Dinner...
 
When I think of Easter I think of rabbits. I just can’t help it. Although, I guess people who know me would say there’s not much that doesn’t make me think of bunnies and rabbits. Anyway, it also makes me think of this family recipe.
 
Fried Rabbit by Mrs WA McCormick
Favorite Recipes of Putnam County Home Demonstration Club Members
My dad grew up in a large farm family, and they lived off the land so small game was sometimes part of their diet. My grandmother would cook it up in a cast iron skillet on a wood-burning stove, and I can only imagine how wonderful that smell would have been. I’m sure it called them all to dinner.

Dad also hunted when I was a small child. I don’t remember him doing it after we moved from Orangeburg, so I guess he quit by the time I was 7 or so. I do remember him bringing home rabbit, and we’d have it fried with mashed potatoes and gravy, just like his mother served.

And here’s a funny fact about me. If the rabbit has been cleaned before I see it then I can eat it, and it’s yummy. However, if I see that cute, fluffy little tail then it’s a bunny, and I don’t eat bunnies.

Don’t judge me. There is a difference.






No comments:

Post a Comment