Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Beer Potato Soup

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

I usually go on a rant for St. Patrick’s Day. So here’s this year’s. I’ll admit that I’ve done my share of partying in the past, but why did I? Why, on this one day, does everyone want to be Irish and get drunk? And what’s this about wear green or get pinched? Seriously? I can’t imagine St. Patrick would think that’s a good way to celebrate his day.

That’s enough ranting though. There is one good thing about St. Patrick’s Day – the food. I love Irish pub food, so I thought I’d celebrate the day by sharing a tasty recipe. I know most folks would talk about corned beef and cabbage, and I can nearly eat my weight in that yummy stuff, but it’s really not Irish. It’s actually very American in origin. That being said, here’s a recipe for a good Irish soup, only with a little twist. You'll see as this blog goes on that I like to cook with beer, so here’s my homage to St. Patrick.

Beer Potato Soup

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup onion, diced
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
  • 4 cups beer, stout
  • 6 Yukon Gold potatoes, diced, not peeled
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon chicken bouillon
  • 4 cups heavy cream
  • Salt & pepper to taste
Directions:

In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add the onion and celery and sauté until tender. Add the parsley and stir.

Add the beer and potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cook at a slow boil until the potatoes are just tender.

With a large slotted spoon, mash the potatoes into the side of the pot. Add the sugar and bouillon, and salt and pepper to taste.

Slowly pour in the cream, stirring continuously until completely mixed. Continue to simmer for a few more minutes, until just slightly reduced.

Serve piping hot.

Serves 6.


By the way, I have an Irish lineage. What do you expect with a maiden name of McCormick?

Have a wonderful day and stay safe.




No comments:

Post a Comment